Wednesday, May 25, 2011

nothing important

This post contains no pictures, nothing about Jonah, nothing funny, nothing uplifting, and nothing even related to us.  Just thought I'd throw that out there.  Nonetheless, this is something I've been thinking (and chuckling) about for a while now.

So when I was a kid, in addition to walking to school in the snow, a kid names Thomas went by Tom. Christopher was Chris.  Joshua went by Josh.  You get the idea.  It wasn't until I went to college that I met my first Topher and Drew (whose names were actually Christopher and Andrew).  Since then, I've met a Tricia (Patricia) and at least one more I can't think of right now.

So my question is this: what potential nicknames exist that I haven't heard yet?  Could I come up with one?  Could my Robert friends be, instead of Bobby/Rob, Bert?  Should I be going by Lee and my sister Lyn?  Josh wanted Jonah's name to be Enzo for a while (short for Lorenzo), so why not something that seems equally strange the first time you hear it?  Topher certainly seemed weird to me until I heard it a few times.  I haven't come up with one I think would fly yet, but this is a favorite activity of mine on long drives.

8 comments:

  1. For years I have affectionally called my sister, Roberta, Bertie.
    (However, she hated that..so I have also tried to refrain from doing so now that I am 'older' and suppose to be more 'respectful and kind!'

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of Eric's neighborhood friends goes by Robyn, for his Robert. I think Robyn is a terrible diservice of a nickname when it isn't even necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad says your great-grandfather, whose name was Alexander Clark, was called "ECK" by his family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly's sister Elizabeth goes by Betsy and now El.

    I suggest calling Josh "Sh" and Jonah "Ah". You can adopt the nickname "Er".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Quindi's names for the three of you, although, I think Osh, Nah and Berly (Oshnahberly) should be the name of your next child! I like this game. Before I had grandchildren I used up all the names of my family for my passwords at work (we have to change our password every 60 days on about 10 different programs)so I decided i needed one that I would always remember and was all about me. I put it out there as a challenge to some of my co-workers. The winner was Jomarquen, (using a piece of all three of my names) and that is what I was affectionately called for quite some time. I now look forward to you coming up with all of your forever passwords!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone recently decided to call me Rebie... I found it odd.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our Roberts are Bobby and Robby (pretty normal), but our Alexander (whose full name is Alexander Carl Eastman) goes by Xander (me and Bobby's preference) or ACE, but NEVER Alex cause I hate that name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll admit- I've always hated nicknames. I actually always liked the name Joshua, but I did not want people to shorten it to Josh. No offense to Josh at all. I like that name well enough as well. But if I wanted my kid to be called "Josh," then that's what it would say on his birth certificate.

    I have a friend whose son's name is Lorenzo. They call him, "Renzo." I cringe every time. Why not just name him that? It's one thing if you just shorten it every now and then. But I've NEVER heard them call him Lorenzo.

    ReplyDelete