We are working from the time we wake up until dark every day. We're pretty tired. Here are some observations:
-We eat so much. Wherever we are cleaning or packing or clearing trees, people will come by with food and drinks (the best? cold water or cold gatorade). It's ridiculous how often it happens and yet someone always finds the need to eat. Last night, we were getting hungry so we decided to leave the back of the house and stand on the road. The people in the first truck offered us water. The second: help and a truck. The third: food. It was amazing. Then we headed back to Ally and Aaron's and I made a quadruple batch of that bean zucchini thing. Seriously, it was SO much. Maybe two gallons worth. In 30 minutes, it was gone. Then we ate dessert. Apparently manual labor makes you hungry.
-Many people are still in shock. Most want to talk. Everywhere we go people are wanting to talk about it, repeating themselves. I know I've told the same people the same story many times. So...sorry about that.
-The things that have helped the most: showing up (the people who show up and start working when I or whoever is too disoriented to know what to ask for), food (especially real food as opposed to potato chips, but at this point, we'll take anything), cold drinks, knowing there are people worried about you, gloves, sunscreen, chapstick, tweezers, anyone telling jokes. I'm not sure my sense of humor is quite ready for telling jokes yet, but it does feel good to laugh.
We're off to a quick one-hour church followed by more clean up. I'm going to be so strong.
You were already "so strong!!" My heart is BURSTING with pride over all the actions taken from you and Josh over the last five days! Dickie Boy would be shaking his head back and forth commenting "remarkable!" I hope you will be up for lot's of story telling next week, we on this side of the world want to hear it again and again . . . . especially the part of how you all made it through together as an amazingly strong family! Thank you for being there for everyone else!:-)
ReplyDeleteI would bring you food, if I was there. Hang in there! Stay strong!
ReplyDeleteI wish I could be there getting strong with you!!! *hugs* And a tan....haha :)
ReplyDeleteWow. We're definitely thinking of you...How is Jonah handling all this? I love that so many people are there offering food, that's wonderful.
ReplyDeleteDarren and I are holding your family in our thoughts. *hugs* - Beth
ReplyDeleteI'm suppose to be enjoying Jonah for "my two day rotation." So far we spent 3 hours in church this morning and he has been asleep the rest of the day! I even checked to see if he is still breathing. He is. Bummer. I want to PLAY.
ReplyDeletePopped over from Kayla's blog. I've been following the tornado stories pretty closely. I'm amazed what you and your neighbors have been through! Were you at home when it hit?
ReplyDeletePraying for you!!!!!!
ReplyDelete